Top : PLAIN ENGLISH WRITING
- 9 Tips to Write Better Plain English Material
- Readers skim text and judge quickly about what's worth reading. For this reason, make your document's purpose and usefulness immediately obvious. Use the title and other upfront text to clearly identify to readers what the material is about, whom it is for, and how to use it.
- Drop the Officialese, and Write in Plain English
- When organizations work intelligently together to reach common goals, they also communicate clearly and thus understand each other. Individually, a writer's communications sometimes fail because he has a fascination with the traditions of officialese; this is in-grown compulsion to impress the reader.
- How to Replace Jargon and Legalese in Plain English Writing
- Every plain English document has two important traits in common: it does not contain jargon and legalese. To write in plain English, use short, common words to convey your points. In instances where you can't explain a difficult concept in plain English, define what the term means when you first use it.
- How to Start Writing in Plain English
- Let's first dispel a common misconception about plain English writing. Writing in plain English does not mean we delete complex information to make the document easier to understand. Documents must impart complex information for readers to make informed decisions.
- How to Use General Words in Plain English Writing
- General Words: General words name whole groups of things: people . . . structures . . . programs . . . animals . . . machines . . . devices ., . clothing . . .mountains . . . directives . . . etc.
- How to Use Personal Pronouns in Plain English Writing
- No matter how educated your audience is, you should use personal pronouns to improve the clarity of your writing. First, personal pronouns help your reader's comprehension because they clarify what applies to your reader and what applies to you.
- How to Use Simpler Words in Plain English Writing
- No one likes to read a sentence that rambles on for two pages. Nor do readers want to struggle through a document that contains lengthy, information-packed sentences with jargon and legalese. Long and complex sentences make it harder for readers to understand any single portion of it.
- Sentence Parallelism in Plain English Writing
- A long sentence often falls apart in meaning and comprehension without a parallel structure. Parallelism means you present a list or series of items using parallel parts of speech, such as nouns or verbs.
- The Act of Communication in Plain English Writing
- Act of Communication: When you communicate, you take an idea that's in your head and you put it into another's head through words. This "act" might seem like a trivial thing, simply because it's so ordinary and so routine.
- The Wrong Way of Writing: Using Abstract Words
- If there were one hard, immutable, unalterable, inflexible, unbending, unbreakable, ex-cathedra rule for writing, which there isn't, it should be this: When you write, use specific and concrete words wherever you can an general and abstract ones when you have to.
Top : PLAIN ENGLISH WRITING